a film by olivier boonjing

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Director's biography

1982-2000

I was born on the 15th October 1982 from a Belgian father and a Thai mother. I was raised in Belgium, in a small village close to the border to Germany and the Netherlands. Very early, I was put a still picture camera in my hands by my father and grand-father, both enthusiastic members of the local photo club. Being a bit nerdy at age 12, I grew a big passion for computers and started emerging myself in the world of computer graphics. At 16, I produced my first animation which landed a selection at Imagina. My second one was selected at Imagina and Siggraph.


2001

After high school, I moved to Brussels to start working as computer graphic artist in a company specialized in real time multi-players applications. Boring, didn’t suit me, I quit. During the 9 months that followed, I started working with digital video and photography again which I truly enjoyed. In serious need of money, I accepted a job as an artistic director in a company specialized in 3D renderings of architecture projects. Sounds good on paper, practically it meant creating 3D fly-through of malls. Boring, I quit, again.


2003

I decided to become a freelance director and cinematographer. With the help of close friends, we started producing event videos and photos, small commercials,… To bring some balance, we launched our first short film project called “Marla”, a different kind of fan movie based around the character from the novel “Fight Club”. It did very well online (www.marlathemovie.com) and even landed on Chuck Palahniuk’s official website, earning a good review from Filmthreat and an Netdiver Outstanding Project Award.


2004-2007

Things moved forward. Commercial work allows me to earn a living. Projects abroad appear mainly as cinematographer. Direction UK, USA, Cambodia,… Time to focus on a personal project, a feature film.


2008-2009

I’ve always been very attracted by the subject of travel and the very notion of home. I decided to place that at the center of my script. Partly autobiographical “Somewhere between here and now” is my first feature and my second fiction altogether. The project was self-funded and produced by Olan Bowland and myself. It was shot in 19 days on HDV with a crew of 4 (me included), all on location, almost exclusively with natural light (only two scenes were “lit”). There was no casting process either, we knew all the actors from previous projects. Olan and I then went to Thailand, Laos and Malaysia to shoot the intro sequence using two little still cameras in video mode.

The movie was finally finished end of April 2009.

I’m currently writing what could be seen as a sequel. It’ll be called “same same but different” and will take mainly place in South-East Asia. Fingers crossed.
.

0 comments:

Post a Comment